Re: Index usage in order by clause

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:03:04 -0400

If you need an order by, you have to use an order by. It's the only way oracle will guarantee an ordered result. Some might say you can build a descending index on lastupdatedate and then the order by will use that, but definitely you need the order by.
Also, will first_rows hint at all? You're using an order by which will require all the rows to come back before the sort takes place.

Mike
ganstadba_at_hotmail.com