RE: Stop defragmenting and start ...

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:16:33 -0400

Stu Goss of Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse presented a paper at 1990 IOUG (Anaheim) entitled "Keeping it together with GLUE"

GLUE was a BCF utility that read the freespace from each tablespace and figured out the sizes of JUNK001 tables that must be created to "GLUE" all the freespace into contiguous chunks to repair the highly variable fragment sizes left after Oracle Applications upgrade scripts. The point was to run GLUE after all the next sizes had been "repaired" to one of a few carefully chosen sizes (mutual submultiples definitely, but preferably one size per tablespaces). At that time, the university crowd was very keen on pctincrease 50 so that students didn't have to do sizing and the number of extents was self limiting. We were quite loudly accused of being less than intelligent (I'll tell Mogens and maybe Pete the actual words in person, I wouldn't repeat them here) in setting pctincrease to zero and having to so carefully reset the pctincrease and next sizes for the HUGE applications data dictionary, and where did we get off changing Oracle's chosen storage characteristics, anyway.

My paper "Managing many instances on many drives" at the same conference explained grouping tables in tablespaces by growth rate and using one next size per tablespace execept for the smallest tables where you might save space (disk was not cheap back then) by using a few common multiples. NB: The instances in my paper's title was a slight misnomer, these were NOT Oracle Parallel Server instances, merely 8 databases on something like 60 disk drives, which qualified for "many" of each in 1989.

GLUE was obsoleted by overloading non-zero pctincrease default on the tablespace (note to developers -- overloading is ALWAYS a bad idea), leading to the hilarious popourri of sizes that I *believe* had something to do with inspiring Cary to write his famous paper.

Please note that GLUE was *not* some attempt to eliminate freespace fragmentation for performance, but rather to make the report of available free fragments of the maximum next size for a tablespace simpler, and remember this was in the context of no unlimited extents, max 62 files, max 8K blocksize, and only one blocksize per database. In that context, you might need serious lead time to plan an outage to add a file, because if you were close to 62, you might need to plan to unload, drop the tablespace, remake the tablespace with a bigger file, and then reload.

NB: If you find a copy of either of those papers, please carefully disregard most of the advice. I believe they were both truthful and insightful in 1990, but most of the concerns addressed have thankfully been obsolete for a long time.

mwf