RE: Virtual RAC on Solaris E15k

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:33:29 -0400

At most, this provides coverage for component failures that fail to bring down the whole machine. For example, a CPU board could flake out and just bring down one virtual machine. I don't have MTBF data for e15Ks so that you could do a case analysis to compute the expected "saving the day" that might be achieved with this configuration. A wild guess would be almost never. Second, I don't believe there is a reliable collection of data comparing rates of single instance Oracle database crashes entirely due to software with similar crashes for the more complex RAC environment. A wild guess would be they are pretty close, but that RAC fails enough oftener than single instance that it covers the spread on single virtual machine failures.

So for redundancy, I think Cary gave you a spot on short answer.

Now there are some odd ball situations where multiple instances on a single piece of hardware makes sense, but that has to do with load. For example, if you have two or more highly divergent user pools that are accessing a datawarehouse type database, they might profit from being able to have multiple SGAs that are prewarmed with data correlated the user pools.

Now if your management wants to charter a project to collect the data required to prove that this is a bad idea, please keep us in mind. I believe we could do that for a little less than the cost of a second e15k.

mwf