Re: SAP Reorgs

From: Tim Gorman <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:28:51 -0600

Reorganizing objects is not generally necessary with Oracle. With that in mind, a "reorg project" should have two goals:

To the first point, a reorg is non-trivial in terms of effort, cost, and the impact on application availability. It is bad to go through all that expense and effort and then show no improvement. Better instead to find the real cause of problems and expend the effort to fix them.

To the second point, Oracle has ways to avoid almost every reason for reorging tables and indexes, with very few exceptions. So, planning to "periodically reorg" means that the database features are not being used properly and (more importantly) that lessons are not being learned and applied to avoid the same problems in the future. The old adage of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" is relevant.

Keeping those two goals in mind may help structure the engagement.

Any of the "reorg tools" on the market do not have these two goals in mind. Who would pay capital for something that is used once?

Hope this helps...

on 6/13/04 8:03 AM, Dan Hotka at wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a gig where they have a rather large SAP database...they want to
> reorg it...then periodically reorg it. I'll find out this next week all
> the specifics.
> I am wondering if anyone has any experience in doing reorgs on SAP
> databases. What I should look for...what I should look out for...SAP
> specific things...which objects needs periodic reorgs...which objects
> needs a better storage parameters... Any help/comments would be most
> appreciated.
> Thank you in advance.
> Dan Hotka

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: