RE: SAP Reorgs

From: Larry Klein <Larry.Klein_at_Hotsos.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:21:29 -0500

Hi Dan, another consideration is to find out it there are any dependencies in their environment (Quest Shareplex, eg) to make you want to preserve object_id's across your re-org efforts.

Just out of curiosity, what's driving the reorg effort? Last time I looked under the covers at SAP, the SQL coming from the ABAP servers primarily did index-range scans from single tables. Then the servers would "join" data inside the buffers of the ABAP servers; to me the SAP on Oracle implementation looked as if they took their old MVS VSAM file structure and implemented each distinct file as a separate table in the new Oracle world.

Does your customer have quantifiable evidence to suggest that a table reorg effort will resolve any current performance issues?

Take care and regards,

Larry Klein
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
630-513-8010 (Chicago office)
630-240-1190 (cellphone)

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis (3 day class) starting on/in

     06/22 Pittsburgh, 07/20 Cleveland, 08/10 Boston
     09/14 San Francisco
- SQL Optimization (4 day class) starting on/in
     06/14 Chicago, 06/28 Denver,  07/26 WashDC
     08/16 Minneapolis, 09/20 TBA, 10/18 New Orleans
     11/08 Dallas, 12/13 Atlanta

- Hotsos Symposium 2005 on Oracle System Performance, Dallas, March 6-10