RE: Rman/Legato/Architecture

From: Browett, Darren <dbrowett_at_coquitlam.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:41:26 -0700

Yes staging does all the cleanup that you need, but the information will be on disk for a minimum of one day/24 hours (function of the software) before it will be staged.

You can overide that manually by staging the disk volume whenever you feel like it, but
that defeats the purpose of doing it automatically.

I don't use rman, I shutdown the databases, clone the filesystem, bring up the databases
and send the clones to backup (disk). My databases are then left on disk for 2 days before
they are staged, and I have room for 3 days worth of databases, incase I have problems with
the autochangers and their ability to keep up.

Depending on what you backup for your entire enterprise, staging keeps our tape drives running 24 hours a day.

Darren