RE: Rman/Legato/Architecture

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:02:50 -0700

Darren/all,

This sort of functionality (spooling to disk) was already available long ago in ADSM (IBM's Tivoli). Not sure if RMAN makes use of it, although I would guess that it does (anyone using RMAN and ADSM?). Btw, ATA disks are relatively cheap, even when stacked up in an array, and Serial ATA (SATA) may even overcome some of the performance issues. Storage industry pundits are even predicting that Tapes as a backup medium may someday fully be replaced by ATA Disks, and I think we are seeing an example of disks replacing tapes in an 'intermediate' storage situation...

Matt Zito may have more to say on this... Matt?

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' <http://www.needhim.org'/> for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

From: Fuad Arshad [mailto:fuadar_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 9:18 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

interesting ,
we are actually thinking about using this. what are your thoughts . how are restores performed if data is moved to tape.

"Browett, Darren" <dbrowett_at_coquitlam.ca> wrote:

Legato has a feature called staging, which we are using. In short, we backup up to disk, then based on age of the files, 2 days, 5 days, 7days,
the savesets are moved to tape. Works great.

Darren