Re: Stop defragmenting and start ...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:35:18 -0400

On 06/10/2004 09:44:47 PM, Connor McDonald wrote:
> I've got a newsgroup exchange saved from Tom Kyte around 1995/1996 suggesting lots of equally
> sized extents, the only caveat being to make them quite large since 'maxextents unlimited' did not
> exist yet.

There was such a recommendation in the first edition of Guy Harrison's book, back there in 1998. Harrison took the whole thing a bit further and suggested separate tablespaces for small, medium, large, XL and XXL objects, thus separating objects by size, rather then functionally. This recommendation is still basically sound, except in the RAC environment, where you want related objects accessed from the same node and being in the same tablespace, to minimize handling of tablespace headers.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA