RE: Rman/Legato/Architecture

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:47:20 -0500

I'm not a Legato expert but ...
I think a big part of the problem is that during backup, rman can shovel the files into Networker in parallel, but when it is time to restore the files, the parallelism (or most of it) goes away. We have started keeping a copy of the backup on disk as well as on tape. We have just started this for the same reason you have experienced, so we are still experimenting. Our current strategy -- subject to change if somebody comes along with something better -- is to backup to disk; then run a script that uses mminfo to see what is on disk that isn't on tape; then use the save command to send the new files to tape; then delete yesterday's backup from disk. In our case, we have about 1.8 Tb allocated for this. So yeah, we're talking about a wee bit of disk space here.