Re: see higher CPU usage after increase SGA

From: zhu chao <chao_ping_at_vip.163.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:13:42 +0800

Thanks , Jonathan.
2 Years ago, you also explained the same concept to me, But I did not understand it quite clearly. Now I do understand it. Your explanation is quite clear and reasonable.

That poor SQL I said was because of very poor index clustering factor. To tune the most frequently used SQL that access that table ( by primary key user_id and msg_id, a user_id can have many msg_id), I created that table as IOT. The cost of this SQL dropped greatly. But later a new SQL was released which access the table via the date column. As the table was physically ordered by user_id, the clustering factor was very poor. So it used a lot of system buffer_gets.

Same Buffer_gets can have significant performance difference, like CPU usage or response time. Now I get it.
Thanks .

Zhu Chao.