RE: Help with sql identifying dup constraints

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:23:21 -0700

Well, you can't have two "not null" constraints on a column (see example below showing the error) as far as I know. What I think you have is one "NOT NULL" constraint and one CHECK constraint. From the DBA_ views NOT NULL constraints and CHECK constraints look the same, but in SYS.CDEF$ they have different values for TYPE#. As you noticed you can't compare the constraint text in SQL since it's stored in a LONG. (Shouldn't this column have been changed to a CLOB in 9.2? But I digress.) I would write a query that looks for a NOT NULL constraint (which can only have one column), and then look for a CHECK constraint that only has one column and the same column as the not null constraint. This should help narrow your search down, and by looking at the text for the CHECK constraint you could easily figure out which ones are duplicates of a not null constraint. E.g. something like this:

select

   c.username || '.' || d.table_name || '.' || d.column_name as constraint_column,    b.name || ' (NN)' as nn_constraint_name,

--   * you don't really need this text since we know it will be
--   * "COLUMN_NAME" IS NOT NULL
--   * a.condition as nn_constraint_text,

   f.name || ' (CHECK)' as ck_constraint_name,    e.condition as ck_constraint_text
 from
   sys.cdef$ a, sys.con$ b, dba_users c, dba_cons_columns d,    sys.cdef$ e, sys.con$ f, dba_cons_columns g  where
   a.type# = 7

   and a.cols = 1
   and a.con# = b.con#
   and b.owner# = c.user_id
   and c.username = d.owner
   and b.name = d.constraint_name
   and e.obj# = a.obj#
   and e.type# = 1
   and e.con# = f.con#
   and f.owner# = b.owner#
   and c.username = g.owner
   and f.name = g.constraint_name
   and d.column_name = g.column_name

-- * add your specific conditions here from dba_users -- * and dba_cons_columns

   and c.username = user ;

Example: I try to create a table with two NOT NULL constraints on the same column - Oracle error. However I can create a column with a NOT NULL constraint and a similar CHECK constraint. My query will show this.

SQL> create table t (n number not null, d date not null) ; Table créée.
SQL> alter table t add (check (n is not null)) ; Table modifiée.
SQL> alter table t modify (d not null) ; alter table t modify (d not null)

                      *

ERREUR à la ligne 1 :
ORA-01442: colonne à modifier en NOT NULL est déjà NOT NULL

SQL> select

  2     c.username || '.' || d.table_name || '.' || d.column_name as constraint_column,
  3     b.name || ' (NN)' as nn_constraint_name,
  4  --   * you don't really need this text since we know it will be
  5 -- * "COLUMN_NAME" IS NOT NULL
  6 -- * a.condition as nn_constraint_text,
  7     f.name || ' (CHECK)' as ck_constraint_name,
  8     e.condition as ck_constraint_text
  9   from
 10     sys.cdef$ a, sys.con$ b, dba_users c, dba_cons_columns d,
 11     sys.cdef$ e, sys.con$ f, dba_cons_columns g
 12   where
 13     a.type# = 7
 14     and a.cols = 1
 15     and a.con# = b.con#
 16     and b.owner# = c.user_id
 17     and c.username = d.owner
 18     and b.name = d.constraint_name
 19     and e.obj# = a.obj#
 20     and e.type# = 1
 21     and e.con# = f.con#
 22     and f.owner# = b.owner#
 23     and c.username = g.owner
 24     and f.name = g.constraint_name
 25     and d.column_name = g.column_name
 26 -- * add your specific conditions here from dba_users  27 -- * and dba_cons_columns
 28 and c.username = user ;

CONSTRAINT_COLUMN

NN_CONSTRAINT_NAME                  CK_CONSTRAINT_NAME

CK_CONSTRAINT_TEXT

JRK.T.N
SYS_C005033 (NN)                    SYS_C005035 (CHECK)
n is not null

Now if I add another check constraint on column d, SQL> alter table t add (check (d > to_date ('2000/01/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD'))) ; Table modifiée.

We will see that the query will show a NOT NULL constraint on column d and also a check constraint on column d, but the text of the constraint is enough to tell us that we don't have a "duplicate" not null constraint.

[...]

JRK.T.D

SYS_C005034 (NN)                    SYS_C005036 (CHECK)
d > to_date ('2000/01/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD')