Re: RE: Future DBA job outlook

From: <ryan.gaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:04:13 -0400

Certifications matter more to government contractors. Helps them sell you. Matters less in the private sector. Government stuff is more about the pretty resume. Alot of the people here do not have a degree(I have one) and you would get passed over for government jobs for someone who is clearly weaker because you do not have a degree. Rather silly, but happens. Or you might not get passed over, you might just get offered less money.

Also the type of degree matters. They want computer science degrees. I'm doing a masters now and had to take several undergraduate computer science degrees. Though it is not totally related, it is useful stuff. Helps you see Oracle as a software system and not just as a product. Though its not 100% essential.