RE: Future DBA job outlook

From: David Green <thump_at_cosmiccooler.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:31:12 -0500 (CDT)

Were getting outside the origional topic, but what the hell...

I have managed to do quite well with no college degree and no OCP. My situation is quite unique in those terms though. I was a bartender who met the director of IT at one of the US largest airports and he took me under his wing almost 11 years ago now. He was tired of technical people who could'nt work with others(no people skills) and thus saw that I had good people skills and could be trained).

I have 10 years in the industry now, which is the only reason why not having a degree is'nt a factor any longer. I have always been in the most upper percentile in terms of compensation in a given area.

Point is you get what you can get based on where ya have been and what ya have done. Aside from negotiating skills and what ones experience and skillset brings to the table though, Rachel is right on about location location location.
- David