Re: see higher CPU usage after increase SGA

From: zhu chao <chao_ping_at_vip.163.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:37:46 +0800

Hi,

    I did not post the all information within that email, else it will be too lenghy, and few people will read it through.

  1. There is no pagein/out taking place. Vmstat shows sr=0 and sar -g shows no swapin/out.
  2. At this time, neither CPU nor Disk is not bottleneck now. We can support more users. Disk is reaching its capacity soon, as BUSY%(iostat -xn ) is at 75%+ during peak time. This is why we increase SGA to reduce the load on disk storage.
  3. You said it can because larger sga caused scanning the LATCH using more CPU. I also think it is possible. But difficult to verify. 4.It is difficult to find out who used more resource. As there are 800+ connection to the database, using the same username. And I did not record the old v$sesstat. Even record that old v$sesstat, it is difficult to compare that 5% in the 800+ sessions.

    It is just I am not sure what caused the more CPU usage. Hotsos notes cannot explain everything, I read most of the notes there more than 5 times. One of them is LIO consumes much CPU, which I do not quite agree, according to my tune experience in the past several weeks.

    There was a HUGE SQL(which used 30% of total system buffer_gets according to statspack report). I changed the SQL, and later it used less than 0.5% of total system buffer_gets(it just dissappear from statspack report), but system CPU usage just drop by less than 5% from statspack report(compare the CPU used by this session before/after change)!.

Regards
Zhu Chao.

> Now, trying to be actually useful, I think your next task is to find out
> where time is being spent. If analysis shows that the big consumer(s)
is/are