my pq Deq wait problem

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:09:49 -0400

Like I said previously, I had the same problem yesterday. I'm finding it very hard to get any type of plan stability with the load. Oracle wants to take the partitioned tables (size varies from 10Gb to 300Gb and the process is the same for all tables) and hash them into memory. Of course I don't have 300Gb of disk space set aside for temp space. Tried analyzing out the ying yang but always the hash. I'm using a pga_aggregate target of 512Mb.
So I have to issue the following alter session alter session set hash_join_enabled = false optimizer_index_caching = 90 optimizer_index_cost_adj = 5
This gives me a nested loop index access, and is essentially a rule based approach but is very fast. The only problem is it sometimes picks the wrong index for the index probe(all bitmaps) and that's where I got the pq Deq wait problem. I'm going the check out stored outlines next.

Mike