RE: Oracle Character sets

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:30:33 -0400 (EDT)

Justin,

Pretty interesting. Let me just get it straight. Are you saying that ...

IF
(
1 - Client's NLS_LANG char set portion properly matches OS code page AND
2 - This char set is capable of rendering the data stored in the DB AND
3 - Retrieved data doesn't look ok
)

THEN
(
There is a corruption in the DB and it is time to run csscan?
)

In your example DB is not capable of storing extended characters properly. What if it can?

Here's a scenario:
DB is on Linux, char set is MSWin-1252

Should I set my Linux client NLS_LANG to MSWin-1252 or "more suitable" to the OS, say ISO-8859P1 (or P15 for Euro)?

Here's a test-case:
-- 0) DB settings:

SQL> select dbms_utility.port_string from dual;

PORT_STRING

Linuxi386/Linux-2.0.34-8.1.0

SQL> sho release
release 1001000200

SQL> select value$ from props$ where
name='NLS_CHARACTERSET';

VALUE$

WE8MSWIN1252

SQL> @%NLS_LANG%
SP2-0310: unable to open file
"AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252" SQL> @%SQLPLUS_FONT%
SP2-0310: unable to open file "courier new.sql"

SQL> select * from char_set;

        ID C1_CHAR C2_VAR
---------- ---------- ----------

         1 é          é