Re: Shared server tuning

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:03:37 -0700

Servers are shared, but only service one SQL statement at a time.

Sessions queue up behind busy servers if some SQL statements are running too long

Been a long time since I've messed with MTS, and I don't recall how to detemermine this.

google for "queue mts shared server oracle" and you will find a number of hits with some SQL queries to examine share server performance views.

The problem could also be less than optimal SQL tying up the server and dispatcher.

Jared

"Sentell, Aaron" <aaron_sentell_at_tempe.gov> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
06/08/2004 11:47 AM
Please respond to
oracle-l_at_freelists.org

oracle-l_at_freelists.org
cc

Subject
Shared server tuning

I have a six-month-old Oracle 9.0.1.3 database that is using shared server connections. Users are complaining about system slowness sporadically throughout the day, but I don't see any CPU, i/o, or network-related issues
with the server itself. I have run a few Statspack reports through oraperf.com, and they all say that I can get a 90%+ gain by tuning MTS. In addition, in the waits section, virtual circuit status is by far the event with the most wait time.

I have checked the v$shared_server_monitor view, and nothing raises a flag with me. SERVERS_HIGHWATER has never come close to approaching MAX_SHARED_SERVERS. There are some servers started and terminated throughout
the business day (3-4), but I don't think this would causes the symptoms I am seeing.

Personally, I am tempted to switch to using dedicated connections. Our Peoplesoft Financials and HR databases use this, so I doubt this application
would have a problem with it.

Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Sentell
Database Administrator
City of Tempe, Arizona

Office: (480) 350-8468
Pager: TempeDBA_at_vtext.com <mailto:TempeDBA_at_vtext.com>