Shared server tuning

From: Sentell, Aaron <aaron_sentell_at_tempe.gov>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:47:51 -0700

I have a six-month-old Oracle 9.0.1.3 database that is using shared server connections. Users are complaining about system slowness sporadically throughout the day, but I don't see any CPU, i/o, or network-related issues with the server itself. I have run a few Statspack reports through oraperf.com, and they all say that I can get a 90%+ gain by tuning MTS. In addition, in the waits section, virtual circuit status is by far the event with the most wait time.

I have checked the v$shared_server_monitor view, and nothing raises a flag with me. SERVERS_HIGHWATER has never come close to approaching MAX_SHARED_SERVERS. There are some servers started and terminated throughout the business day (3-4), but I don't think this would causes the symptoms I am seeing.

Personally, I am tempted to switch to using dedicated connections. Our Peoplesoft Financials and HR databases use this, so I doubt this application would have a problem with it.

Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Sentell
Database Administrator
City of Tempe, Arizona

Office: (480) 350-8468
Pager: TempeDBA_at_vtext.com <mailto:TempeDBA_at_vtext.com>