RE: What's max sort_area_size? SUN 64 bit O 9.2.0.4 64 bit

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:33:19 -0500

Mark,Niall, Thanks for input. What I'm asking is what parameter sets the limit and how can I raise the bar.

    Just thought on 64 bit OS it could be higher than 2G.

    From my TAR:

Hi,
The Sort_area_size minimum value is equivalent of six database blocks and the maximum is OS dependent. This has been documented in NOTE:30918.1.(see below)

Pls let us know if you have tried setting the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET instead of setting
sort_area_size.

There are some known issues like dynamically changing the parameters sort_area_size, hash_area_size ...failing with ORA-68.

For example:
SQL> alter session set sort_area_size=2097152; ERROR:
ORA-68: invalid value 2097152 for parameter sort_area_size

SQL> alter session set hash_area_size=2097152; ERROR:
ORA-68: invalid value 2097152 for parameter hash_area_size ...

The range of values are different.
In most of the times restarting the database resolved the issue.(???????????????)

The reason could be that the range of these parameters are stored in SGA, for some reason SGA corrupted/defective where range is stored. Afraid! so bounce of the database should solve it.

Thanks XXXXXXX
BM_944611Parameter type BM_944613
Integer

BM_944615Default value BM_944617
65536

BM_944619Parameter class BM_944621
Dynamic: ALTER SESSION, ALTER SYSTEM ... DEFERRED

BM_944623Range of values BM_944625
Minimum: the value equivalent of six database blocks BM_944626