RE: Anybody? (was about blob) for lack of a better response....

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:25:06 -0400

In the code you sent before, it looked to me as if you were writing only 96K - 3 bytes off the front of each blob to the database in chunks of 32K -1 bytes. Presumably you meant to pass in the size of the blob, subtract 32K-1 from it on each write testing for > 32K-1 remaining before each write and only writing what is left on the last write.

There is probably some useful performance testing to do on the size written on each write, as well, and the performance results will probably vary according to blocksize and factors affecting the effective size available for writing in each block. This has sometimes been referred to as "chunksize." If you want this routine to be adjustable, then you may want to pass in chunksize, making sure to reduce it to no more than the buffer's defined length.

I didn't proofread your code...

If you do make an adjustable routine and you do some throughput tests the data might be of interest. The last time I tested for chunksize effects on blob writing performance was two storage model revisions ago, before they removed user control of a few things.

mwf