Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: 4031 - errors

RE: 4031 - errors

From: Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ) <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:22:29 -0400
Message-ID: <>


Can you comment on #2 listed below (the dispose parameter). Where is it set at?



-----Original Message-----

From: Duret, Kathy [] Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 5:04 PM
To: ''
Subject: RE: 4031 - errors

OK - here are some things that contributed to my problems and woes:

  1. we set cursor_space_for_time = false - had been set to true for some prepared statements we were running this also gave us a bonus where it fixed leaks from update across db_links and heterogeneous services (not my idea ok, I lost the fight reminder to self to get bigger boxing gloves)
  2. .net - set the dispose parameter..... release alot of resources, especially with cursors, has to do with the garbage collection there is also another parameter to adjust so connections for connection pooling don't hang on forever Apparently microsoft sets it to infinity...haven't played with it yet.
  3. The other choke, gasp, dba had alot of dbms_outputs in procedure, functions except that he moved into production instead of commenting them out. one procedure that called another function which called another function, had more than 20 of these things. And yes same person who is updating across the links.....
  4. I still have to look into the shared_pool_reserve and letting go there. I didn't want to change too many things at once... Didn't want to cause other problems.

I have some other issues to look into but this seems to have helped 80% of my problems. The other 20% well, let's just say I am encouraging him to find another position.......

Thanks to everyone for the help.


This transmission contains information solely for intended recipient and may be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protect from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of this transmission. This message and/or the materials contained herein are not an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any securities or other instruments. The information has been obtained or derived from sources believed by us to be reliable, but we do not represent that it is accurate or complete. Any opinions or estimates contained in this information constitute our judgment as of this date and are subject to change without notice. Any information you share with us will be used in the operation of our business, and we do not request and do not want any material, nonpublic information. Absent an express prior written agreement, we are not agreeing to treat any information confidentially and will use any and all information and reserve the right to publish or disclose any information you share with us.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

To unsubscribe send email to: put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Archives are at
FAQ is at

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
To unsubscribe send email to:
put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Archives are at FAQ is at
Received on Mon Jun 07 2004 - 15:22:26 CDT

Original text of this message