RE: Snapshot (Materialized View) Maladies

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:12:44 -0500

Thanks for all the sympathetic responses on Mviews. I really appreciate them. What I was hoping for was specific suggestions, or ways in which listees have actually enhanced the monitoring infrastructure. We now have a process that detects the fact that the DBA job is running past the next refresh time (by joining two separate Oracle viers (dba_jobs_running/dba_mview). This should be part of the Oracle software, because it pretty much defines a data integrity issue, in my opinion.

It almost seems as though Oracle touted Snapshots, and then Mviews, as THE distributed data solution years ago, and yet never fully carried out the mission. I almost have to blush, because I had several development teams dismantle manual table copies between systems as unreliable, and they certainly were LESS reliable than what Oracle provides. However, as a DBA, I maintain that anything less than 100% data integrity, regardless of the cause (and network is often a prime suspect) ought to at least be detected and reported by the DB software.

Any other opinions?

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio