RE: Oracle 9.2 changes in INIT

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:23:00 +0100

Which part in particular - its usually pretty good

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 11:03 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Welcome to the wonderful world of the SPFILE discussed here recently.

There is a nice explanation at http://www.dizwell.com but to answer your question

ALTER SYSTEM has acquired some new functionality. You can now issue

ALTER SYSTEM SET <parameter> = <value> SCOPE=<SCOPE>;

where parameter is the parameter for example OPEN_CURSORS, value is the new value you want for example 500 and scop takes one of MEMORY which means make the change just to the currently running instance , SPFILE which means make the change to the SPFILE making it persistent or BOTH which fairly obviously means do both of these.

It also takes COMMENT= and then a comment so that you can document your changes, but obviously this option is almost never used :( .

I don't like them much but they do have a bunch of advantages (principally as a mechanism for self tuning and for RAC) and get to be mandated for various new features. To back them up - which is wise as the error checking leaves something to be desired and can leave you with a non startable instance and a non editable init.ora if you do things stupidly (or you experiment with new things in a perverse manner) - then either backup the file using an os utility or use the new CREATE PFILE <FILENAME> FROM SPFILE <filename> syntax to create an old fashioned plain text init.ora

cheers

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA