RE: ESRI ArcSDE application

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:30:08 -0400

>On the other hand, to administer an Oracle/SDE instance, the DBA
>needs to be somewhat educated in geoprocessing and spatial datasets, so
>it's a two-way street.

It's been an orphan here. The GIS component has been kind of hung off the side of our public health disease reporting major application. The vendors took a copy of our db, went away, and came back with an install, then went away again. End of support. They created a series of very ugly views in order to populate their data tables. The view definitions definitely aren't in order therefore the pretty pictures we are generating don't actually relate very well to the reports we create on the same data. We got zero training on how it works. So, another contract will be let to get an another GIS guy/girl to come in and rebuild it and maintain it. I was surprised that the local community college has several GIS classes that teach the ESRI GIS product.