Re: Bea WebLogic and Oracle shared server

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:17:08 +0200 (CEST)

> BEA opens a fixed
> number of connections (Thin JDBC) to our Oracle database.
> Right now, Oracle is running in dedicated server mode. But since the
> number
> of users is going to double, the number of BEA connections is going to
> double as well (from 250 to over 500). This would lead to an increase in
> shard server processes to over 500 as well.

Helmut,

AFAIK, BEA is doing connection pooling on its own. At the sites I've seen, fixed number of connections is (much) lower than the number of concurrent users. If that's the case in your situation as well, I would suggest not to double the number of BEA connections, and let BEA do the connectionsharing. At least test the performance issues of stacking two multiplexing architectures, BEA connectionpooling on top of MTS. Given 200 users, a test could be 200 BEA connections and 100 shared server processes. Other configurations to test: 100 BEA connections and 100 dedicated processes, and 100 BEA connections with 50 shared processes. So you can find out which one is the most efficient. If you are going to perform such a test, I'm curious about the results. Alas, I don't have access to a proper testenvironment on this topic now.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===