RE: ESRI ArcSDE application

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 06:19:41 -0400

MessageThere is a 200-plus page pdf document on the ESRI web site discussing machine layout considerations. There is an excellent chance that a database server being accessed by ArcSDE is exclusively serving a GIS community. ArcSDE is among the class of applications that receives a fairly terse client request, does potentially a *LOT* of interaction with the database engine, and then delivers a response to the client. So while the security concern is always valid, I believe this is really a load balancing and network bandwidth question that cannot be answered in a vacuum. If most or all of the other applications supported by your applications server only talk to the database via ArcSDE requests (and probably in shorthand), then there is a good chance ArcSDE should fall on the database server side of the network boundaries.

This gets more interesting, however, if you are deploying a "grid." Which database server would get ArcSDE? In that case, you'd probably want ArcSDE participating in the database grid communications segment, but on its own server.

I'm not sure how ArcSDE would force multiple Oracle homes, and I would love to be enlightened in regard to that comment.

mwf