Snapshot (Materialized View) Maladies

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:37:10 -0500

I am getting prepared to write up an enhancement request to Oracle for improved administration, configuration and problem detection tools for Materialized View (aka snapshot) processing. Having implemented and managed these little devils for close to eight years now, I am knowledgeable enough to know that they are not nearly as problem free as the manuals imply. The reports of issues, bugs and subsequent fixes surrounding these objects are legion.

Our main issue with them is that there is nothing reported in the alert log and no easy detection method for problem determination when they are NOT WORKING! You must check DBA_JOBS and numerous other tables via scripts for exceptions (such as - job running too long, job hasn't run at all, job not running at frequency or time specified, etc). Worst of all, sometimes even these queries fail to detect that the snapshot has not refreshed, and ain't ever gonna. In extreme cases, we've had to rebuild several million row mviews at the recommendation of Oracle, simply because we had a network outage or some other glitch.

Any comments or similar experiences?

I know actually writing an enhancement request that gets implemented is probably a topic for an entire separate listserv, but any words of assistance along those lines would be appreciated as well.

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio