RE:

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:19:04 -0400

Dennis,

I don't see why Oracle even provides this type of backup (database in mount-only mode using Rman). To me, if I was considering this, I would just shut the database down and perform a cold backup. Using Rman in this situation is a waste of time (unless someone can give me a good reason why it is useful).

Rman's biggest strength is point in time recovery, and that the db is up and available all the time.

Anything else just seems like a waste to me - no practicality to it.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional