RE: Incremental Export in Oracle 9i

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:35:29 -0500

Hamid

   If you are thinking that incremental export would just export the new rows in a table. It doesn't. It just detects tables that have changed since the last export and exports those tables.

   As Joe points out, RMAN can do incremental backups, but you must have Enterprise Edition and run in archivelogmode.

   If you want just part of a table, you could do something better on your own. Since 8i export has a parameter QUERY. If you have a timestamp column for when a table is inserted or updated, then you could do a partial export of the table for just the new or changed rows. Again, I have done exports with the QUERY parameter, but haven't designed an incremental backup system based on that.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com