RE: Database programming standards

From: Davey, Alan <Alan.Davey_at_encodasystems.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:03:12 -0600

If they claim that there is no way to use bind variables, have them search google for "sql injection" and to make sure that their code doesn't allow it to happen. Hopefully that will convince them to start using bind variables.

Alan Davey

From: Mercadante, Thomas F [mailto:thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us] Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 9:46 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

Donald,

My assumption about #2 was that they would abandon all the stored procs & packs that have been developed. That, to me, implies that they would also create Java objects to perform sql without using bind variables. My experience is that Java programmers do not want to learn about bind variables - indeed - the Java programmers I see here *barely* know how to right (sp???) decent sql. They don't have the experience or time to learn how to do it right.

Just me pessimistic view of things.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional