RE: Database programming standards

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:47:54 -0400

That is exactly why... These are government positions and the job title is application programmer. People applying go through civil service screening and hiring process and only have to be able to program in SOME language. Agencies then have to recruit from the pool of approved candidates. If there aren't any pl/sql programmers in the pool then you pick the best candidates that you can get. If you don't, the position and salary may get grabbed by somebody else for their project or horse traded away. If you actually hire somebody you then try and beat your candidate into a hat that fits. Make sense?

The majority of the consultants are H1b visa holders and are therefore ineligible for the positions. I have found in my short time in government that people are either super-good and do the work of ten or superbad and it takes the work of ten to make one work.

> The only reason I can think of, for you favoring .net code instead of
PL/SQL is if you are having a lot of .net expertise in-house and