Re: SQL Server vs. Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:03:15 +1000

Niall Litchfield allegedly said,on my timestamp of 3/06/2004 7:50 PM:

> There are 2 basic problems that I see prevalent in the MSSQL community though

Only 2? :)

> sorts of other tangential metrics. It is also partly a problem of the
> underlying product - so you find that you spend all your time waiting
> for a hot page. How are you going to fix this within sqlservers
> limitations?

I'm shocked and surprised you haven't got the solution yet:

"Just add memory!". (M$tm)

> doesn't refresh reliably. Then you move from click here, set this
> checkmark here, run this wizard to code like this
 >big snip
>
> clear as mud really.

Yup, unfortunately. It's either "glance" mode or "access to the most intimate parts" mode. Nothing in between. It will happen, but it's gonna take a while.

> oh and 3 which has only just occurred to me but happens with Oracle
> systems as well - the question John paraphrases is exactly the sort of
> question that gets asked - how can I fix my "system" not "this order
> process has problems".

There is a market for a very significant portion of the Oracle "book-writing" brigade, if I ever saw one! After all, they only got 15 years or so of practice of inflicting that on everyone in sight...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto