WebForms = Developer Forms + Reports?

From: Teresa Redmond <oracle_at_pixelmeow.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:56:23 -0400

I have a question, which I have asked in the oracle.tools newsgroup and got an answer, "WebForms", but my research isn't turning up much. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, which means either what I want can't be done, or I don't know how to explain what I want, or I haven't found the answer where I've been looking.

Here it is: We now have 8.1.5 running on Win2K Server, and a Developer/2000 Forms and Reports client/server application that connects via Net8 and the internet. We wanted to make this into a web based application but the customer won't pay for the upgrade to the Oracle software, so we're stuck with only what comes with 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition.

I want to know if it is possible to keep all the forms and reports inside the database, instead of putting a copy of all those files on each person's machine. Then, have either a URL or a shortcut on the desktop that will download the initial .fmx file and whatever it needs to run, but NOT inside a web page. The files download and run, just like client/server, but with all files held in the database until needed.

So: user has icon on desktop for our application just like always. User clicks on icon: files download and run. User does work, with files downloading onto machine as click events dictate. When user closes initial program file, all files delete themselves off of the machine. Just like servlets/jsp, which I can do, but we already have all these Forms and Reports files and it would take FOREVER to redo everything.

Is this possible, or am I just dreaming??? And I don't mind RTFM, I feel as if I've already R_ALL_TFMs on OTN regarding Forms, Reports, AppServer, Developer Server, Concepts, *everything*... but can't find what I need. Or just don't understand what I'm reading. :-)

Thanks, and let me know if you need more info.

--

Teresa Redmond
Programmer/Analyst III