RE: oracle linux

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:48:15 -0700

Niall,

>My pet gripe is that - probably because everyone in that environment
>learns to code for MSSQL - developers don't have a clue about bind
>variable usage. I believe that this is common in the brave new Java
>world as well.

I believe MS SQL does promote the use of bind variables (see below), but the (majority of) DUHlevopers seem to choose not to use it (and we have seen that happen in Oracle as well, haven't we?!)

The Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server and the SQL Server ODBC driver that are included with SQL Server 2000 use sp_executesql to send statements to SQL Server 2000 when parameter markers are used in applications.

If anyone is wondering, I (still!) haven't crossed over to the 'dark side' (i.e. SS2K) - just completed an intense 3 day DBA course on SS2K.

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!