Re: corrupting a block

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:08:02 -0400

On 05/31/2004 11:48:44 PM, Rhojel_Echano_at_sgs.com wrote:
> Lex/Sateesh,
>
> The password for BBED is "blockedit".
>
> Regards,
> Rhojel

I object to this. Several people, including me, have cracked this password which wasn't exactly a hard nut to crack, and yet nobody published it in the open. We haven't published it for several reasons: a) It's a proprietary oracle information and shouldn't be published

   without a prior written permission from Oracle. In other words, by publishing    this, you broke the law.
b) There was an unwritten gentlemen's (and ladies, too) agreement that oracle will not

   change it, until it becomes widely known. Oracle will probably react by changing    the password in the next patchset.

Not that I've ever been compelled to use tools as drastic as BBED, but knowing that I can, if I need to, was comforting and nice. Now, you've wasted my efforts to crack the password made it questionable whether the utility will be useful ever again. Te rephrase it in ANSI standard English, you probably ruined it for me. Thanks a bunch!

Jared, this is the primary reason why I object to beginners using this list indiscriminately, as the foremost source of knowledge. Allowing that results in people, like this poster, who have enough patched up knowledge to be dangerous and to make life harder for the rest of us. I implore you to remove this guy from the list, as a warning to others. This guy shouldn't be allowed to post here any more.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA