interpret v$mts

From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

Dick (if you're out there) or someone who understands this mts stuff:

We're still having problems with slowness. I know you told me to just keep adding servers till the screaming stopped. I didn't listen too carefully. . .

I'm wondering if you can tell me if I'm interepreting this correctly. mts_servers is set to 30. At 10:09 this morning, my servers_highwater was 34. Here's select * from v$mts at 10:09

MAXIMUM_CONNECTIONS           : 894
MAXIMUM_SESSIONS              : 893
SERVERS_STARTED               : 4
SERVERS_TERMINATED            : 4
SERVERS_HIGHWATER             : 34

-----------------

at 10:49, looked like this:

MAXIMUM_CONNECTIONS           : 936
MAXIMUM_SESSIONS              : 936
SERVERS_STARTED               : 37
SERVERS_TERMINATED            : 37
SERVERS_HIGHWATER             : 52

So does that mean that in 40 minutes, it started 33 servers? If so, isn't that, like, obscene??

I assume there's overhead associated with starting up these servers. Should I be setting mts_servers to something extremely high (like around 50)? It was within this 40 minutes that we saw extreme slowness. I don't know if I'm looking cause or effect, but it seems pretty strange to me that we needed an additional 30 servers in a 40 minute period.

Thanks for any advice on this one.

Barb

Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/