RE: Useful Oracle books - C.J. Date theory vs. practicality

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:54:51 +0200

Hi Daniel,

there is one subtle difference between COBOL (cum suis) and SQL, with regards to leaving fields empty. COBOL doesn't have three-valued logic.

just for fun, check out these two commands:

IF (some condition) THEN (statement 1) ELSE (statement 2); IF NOT (some condition) THEN (statement 2) ELSE (statement 1);

regardless the contents of your data structures, in COBOL these two are equivalent but in PL/SQL they are not!

and another "regardless" statement:
regardless how far you are off-base,
it always makes sense to stay close to a bottle of Scotch...

Cheers,
Lex.

visit my website at http://www.naturaljoin.nl