TX locks

From: Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial) <MATT.ADAMS_at_GE.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:11:29 -0400

I'm having a WHOLE lot of fun trying to track down the source of some ORA-2049 (timeout: distributed transaction waiting for lock) in a purchased app=20 called Matrix. I have a number of questions I'm hoping=20 someone can answer.

Now, according to Metalink, this occurs when a session is=20 waiting on a TX enqueue that another session is holding AND the waiting session is performing a distributed operation via a DB link.

Also, according to Metalink (in a different document), TX enqueues are taken on particular slots in particular rollback segments.

If a new connection does, as it's first statment, a read across a DB link, is a TX enqueue aquired immediately on a local rollback=20 segment (as I think it is?)

Why would two transactions need the same TX enqueue? Is it because they are attempting to update the same row locally (which I have been=20 unable to prove or disprove yet)? Is it because they are=20 both going after the same rows remotely? Is it a lack of available = slots
in the rollback segments (ie, not enough rollback segments)?

None of these scenerios seem very likely in this case, but I'm=20 grasping at straws here.

Matt Adams - GE Appliances - matt.adams_at_appl.ge.com Just once, I wish we would encounter an
alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets.=20 Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 09:22:34 CDT