Re: best practices for encryption key managment??

From: Sai Selvaganesan <ssaisundar_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

larry

addendum:

also u can take a look at tom kyte's implementation of encryption key in his book "effective oracle design". a very nice way of not storing the key for encryption directly in the database and using a "wrapped" PL/SQL code to get the real key. he discusses a couple of other methods like storing in files etc too.

sai
Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
Larry,
And now you have discovered the crux of the problem with encryption.

Encypting data is relatively easy, managing it doesn't seem to be.

There was an article in recent issue of SELECT ( www.selectonline.org ) where the
author stored the key with the card number. Each card number had it's own key.

The purpose was to minimize the impact of someone getting hold of a key.

HTH Jared