RE: replication with Indexes

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:20:07 -0500

I suppose I should, for the sake of completeness, say that a replicated database isn't quite the same as a standby database. If the primary blows up, then you will only have data in secondary up to the point that that last replication cycle ran. But I figured you already knew that. If you try to replicate "too often" (like every ten seconds), you'll probably kill performance. You don't want to set the time between replication cycles to be too long either since the MLOG$ tables can grow which (I think, but not absolutely positive) slows down replication because your updates scan the MLOG$ tables up to the high water mark. If for some reason, you can't replicate for a while, and your MLOG$ tables get huge, I've had success rebuilding them online.