Re: The optimizer is ignoring my hints

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:22:35 +0100

Clearly you haven't yet discovered the

    ignore_optim_embedded_hints
hint.

So if you include this hint as an embedded hint, does Oracle ignore it ?

I haven't tested the parameter yet - but here's another interesting thought. Oracle Corp. includes hidden boolean parameters so that they can be changed in some future release. They must be getting confident.

In answer to your previous question - I think this hint, and the description of the parameter, gives the clue about profiles, and outlines - the only hints ignored are the embedded ones (i.e. the ones you put in the SQL), the one stored in the database for a query still apply. (I've only tested this for outlines, though).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st

Yes I know we did this to death a little while back - I believe that I may have said words to the effect that the CBO never *ignores* valid hints but that you may not get the execution plan you expect if you don't specify enough.

Consider the following 10053 extracts using the same old scott/tiger demo

The difference between them - a new parameter for 10g

  PARAMETERS WITH ALTERED VALUES

<snip>
  _optimizer_ignore_hints = true

So it would seem that having just about settled the whole the optimizer is ignoring my hint debate - now it can.