RE: very odd problem....oracle support has been no help so far.

From: Chris Stephens <ChrisStephens_at_affina.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:20:04 -0500

Sheesh. This was a little over the top. I should have gone back and read before I hit 'send'.

Oracle-l and grey goose just don't mix after a long frustrating weekend.

On a good note, I believe the situation has resulted in several reports running significantly faster this morning. I'm not sure but would imagine it's because the old db may have been missing an index.

chris

From: Sinardy Xing [mailto:SinardyXing_at_bkgcomsvc.com] Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 9:49 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

hi Chris,

is your db ok now?

I had same (similar) problem long ago unix zombie processes got to = reboot (power off/on) Sun Solaris box, permission ok but when I tried to = "touch" a file in those mount point that contain datafile it was fail, = the reason is because my hardware (EMC) I/O Card problem. but I can see = those mount point when I do df -k, and ls -l can see the files and size.

Since you said the timestamp of those data files are freeze at certain = point...
why don't you try to create test file in those mount points log in as db = owner

good luck

Sinardy

From: Goulet, Dick [mailto:DGoulet_at_vicr.com]=20 Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 9:55 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Chris,

        Two things come to mind,

  1. What are the permissions on the database files? Has their ownership =3D and/or group changed?
  2. Try getting the sysadmins to run an fuser command on the files when =3D the database is known to be down.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA