Re: Performance of DBMS_STATS vs ANALYZE

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 02:40:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Connor,

Thanks for the suggestion. Fortunately/unfortunately most of my sorts are already in memory (or at worst single pass) - this schema has many tables but none are particularly big. I guess it's the "many tables" that's the problem.

A trace shows nearly 90% of elapsed time is CPU, so I can't see anything that can be tuned that easily.

However, it's not so much a problem - it's doesn't *really* need to be speed up (for now) - I was just concerned that the shiney new DBMS_STATS was much slower than rusty old ANALYZE and thought I might be doing something wrong. From the responses I've received, it seems that this is expected behaviour, especially with large numbers of tables.

Many thanks to everyone on this thread for their input.

Do you Yahoo!?