RE: Transportable Tablespaces and NCHAR conversion.

From: <Prasada.Gunda_at_hartfordlife.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:39:11 -0400

Thanks Donald for your reply.

I do not think Oracle 9i would take US7ASCII for NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET. Oracle allows either AL16UTF16 or UTF8. It takes US7ASCII for NLS_CHARACTERSET. Can you post the output for : 'select * from v$nls_parameters where parameter like 'NLS%CHARACTERSET' on your database.

Thanks for your help.

>>Database did not allow US7ASCII for NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET in 9i =
environment.

It will. You have to define it using that character set. I have the = same setup. Whoever created my databases back when used US7ASCII which = as you have figured out is not the default characterset. You can either = alter your db creation script or use the dbca which if you drill down = far enough allows you to specify the character set.=20

I would go back and recreate your target database. Otherwise you are = going to get all kinds of errors.

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.