8i Standby Problem

From: Robert Pegram <pegramrg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:49:29 -0700 (PDT)

OS: Solaris 8
Database: 8.1.7.4 - physical standby configuration:

The primary database received "ARC2: Failed to archive log# 3 seq# 20878" messages, and would only allow internal connections. It appeared to be a problem archiving to the standby server (see sequence of events below). Why would the primary instance "freeze" if the standby was set up as optional? I have a tar opened with Oracle, but thought I would also ping the list.

I also noticed the following errors in the standby alert log during the time of the problem.

Tue May 18 08:37:58 2004
WARNING: aiowait timed out 1 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 2 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 3 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 4 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 5 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 6 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 7 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 8 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 9 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 10 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 11 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 12 times
WARNING: aiowait timed out 13 times

Tue May 18 10:43:20 2004

original init.ora parameters:

log_archive_start = true
log_archive_dest_1 = "location=/fs/local0/oraarch/XXXXXX/"
log_archive_format = XXXXXX_%t_%s.arc
log_archive_dest_2 = "SERVICE=XXXXXX_STDBY OPTIONAL REOPEN=300"
log_archive_dest_state_2 = ENABLE
log_archive_min_succeed_dest = 1

Sequence of events:

  1. I got paged DB problems (of course the primary dba is not here today)
  2. Noticed "unable to archive log" errors.
  3. Plenty of space on primary server and standby server (archive destinations).
  4. I can "touch" files in the archive dest (no permission problems)
  5. Tried to bounce database - would not open - trying to archive log 20878.
  6. Changed init.ora to point to a different file system - bounced database - same error.
  7. Bounced server - same error.
  8. Changed init.ora to comment out standby database info:
    #log_archive_dest_2 = "SERVICE=XXXXXX_STDBY OPTIONAL REOPEN=300"
    #log_archive_dest_state_2 = ENABLE
    #log_archive_min_succeed_dest = 1
  9. Bounced database - all is ok.
  10. Changed init.ora archive dest to orig location - bounced database - all is OK
  11. I can manually scp files from the primary to standby server.

I have a theory, but management wants a definite answer before we turn the standby back on.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Rob Pegram

Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! - Internet access at a great low price. http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/