RE: Copy long raw data from a remote database

From: Shawn Ferris <shawn_at_virtualsmf.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:32:00 -0600 (MDT)

> Thanks very much for your suggestion. Could be possible to share your
> script with me?

You bet.. It's fairly centric to our environment.. Let me clean it up a bit and make it a bit more generic.

A bit of background.. On the web you can find a tool called 'fast_unload' that is written in C.. When we upgraded to 9i, I couldn't get that tool to compile out of the box. I'm fairly certain it will, but my PRO*C is a bit rusty and I had an hour to come up with the solution. There were some limitations to the C version so I decided to put my efforts into a Perl version.. This is the results of that. I literally wrote this in an hour or so, so it's not the cleanest code I've ever written. I also have a version for Sybase and SQL Server. (One script should be able to do them all with a few custom modules) I'll give you the original version and see if I can't re-write it to do all three in a single script and a few modules.

This will also generate the control file for you.. hand editting might be required though. Give me an hour to wake up. I spent all night here with an array that wouldn't come back online. Thankfully it finally did or else I'd be spending the next 3 days trying to recover it. 8D

Shawn