Production Database Problem - Software Caused Connection Abort

From: Sam Bootsma <sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:24:05 -0400

AIX 4.3.3
Oracle 8.1.7.4

Hello,

We are intermittently encountering a problem where connections to our database take 10 minutes or longer. Once connected, everything runs fine. Running lsnrctl, then status takes 5 minutes. Stopping the listener takes about 10 minutes, so does starting the listener. We are under pressure to get this resolved. This is our production database. Shutting down the database and restarting helped on Friday afternoon, but is not helping this morning. We are doing a complete reboot of our Unix operating system in the hopes that this will help resolve the problem.

We have HACMP software on our AIX server, but at the present time the fail over box is not available. We think this might be the problem.

The Oracle alert log repeatedly reports the following error when we encounter the problem: "IBM/AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 72: Software caused connection abort". There are other listener errors, but this is the original error that causes the other problems. Oracle Support believes this is an SNMP problem - they believe shutting down SNMP will resolve the problem, but our research on the Lists shows somebody else encountered this same problem and this did not resolve their issues.

Does anybody have tips on what the root cause to the problem might be?

Sam

sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca <mailto:sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca>