RE: Select Any Table : Pros and Cons.

From: H elp_me <good_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:11:17 +0000

Thanks Dennis, Jared and Dick Goulet.

I am also against granting any privilege to anyone with "ANY" word. I am evennot in favour of granting create public synonym / db links.. I fact for the production databases I try to restrict the users even from creating objects. Let a designated person promote the objects in production.

I also understand, if they are smart.. DB links if not created with caution can lead to a major issue.

Jared, I am not in a publicly traded company.

Not that we cannot trust the developers but even then some data is sensitive and should be restricted. With DB Link (PW) they can login to other databases.

This request is from a section / group which will need a reason for denying it.

Will work on some reasons and present it.

Thanks

Nik

  >From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> >Reply-To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org >To: "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> >Subject: RE: Select Any Table : Pros and Cons.
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 16:37:53 -0500 >>Nik > I don't see where anyone
hasresponded yet, but the list has been acting >flaky lately. >>In general, beware of granting privileges named "ANY". I would strongly >favor creating arole, granting select on all needed tables to that role, >then granting the role to the developers. I'm guessing that today this >database does not contain any information that is private from any >developers. But you never know about tomorrow. You may incorporate a new >schema and forget the developers have this privilege. I haven't tested this, >but I'm guessing if this database has any links to other databases, a clever >developer might be able to see enough information to figure out how to get >to that other system. Just strikes me as poor practice. >>Dennis Williams >DBA >Lifetouch, Inc. >dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com >>-----Original Message----- >From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org >[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of H elp_me >Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 2:39 PM >To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org >Subject: Select Any Table : Pros and Cons. >>> Hello, Can someone list me the pros and cons of SELECT ANY TABLE
>priviligeto Developers in Test and Production Databases. Thanks in
>Advance. Nik

http://www.freelists.org/help/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security.[1] Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 01:08:13 CDT