REL UTL_FILE and Unix Group Privs

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 01:41:08 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the reply,

>This could be a couple of things. How do you have
>the initSID.ora 'utl_file_dir' parameter configured? If you
>do not specifically have this path in the parameter (or have
>the parameter set to '*') then it will fail.

Yes, utl_file_dir is set to include my directory (surely it would never work if it was not set correctly, regardless of the unix permissions?)

>If you're using 9i, you should create a directory (in the
>database) that points to this location and use that directory
>name in the utl_file.fopen statement. That is:
>SQL> create directory mydir as '/home/charlotte/report';
>... and then ...
>fh :=3D utl_file.fopen( 'MYDIR', 'test','w');

Although we are testing on 9i, the application is an 8i one which has not been upgraded to use Oracle directories, so we're stuck with the "old" utl_file_dir method for now.

However, out of curiosity I tried the new method and it had exactly the same problem. It would work if oracle owned the unix directory, or the directory was owned by me but writeable by all. It would NOT work if the directory was owned by me but writeable by the appgroup of which oracle is a member. Same error: ORA-29283: invalid file operation

>HTH,
>Mike

Do you Yahoo!?