xml access how to set up security access etc

From: Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam_at_vrijuit.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:09:46 +0200

Hi,

I'm asked to give an opinion about how to connect an external internet site To an oracle database. The supplier of the site takes care of security on his side, wants
to connect via xml through the internet to a machine inside our network new to be built translator service (.net) and from this connection point Probably will go through odbc or something to our production environment.

I have proposed to write the interface on our site in xml with oracle tools, to set up
Oracle application server on our side ( I want to acquire and set up this also for other
Developments). Supplier states this appserver is not necessary. I say yes in order
To manage security, performance. This production database is used for internal and
External reservationsystems at this time.

This new site is for suppliers to provide Stock. Expected is the first year up to 200 suppliers minimum. Widely spread during the
Day connections with limited functionality (as far as I'm concerned) This 200 users possibly goes up
To 600 or 1000 next 2 years. I have already about 400 to 500 users online through reservations systems
(3 tier managed by Mts) and directly about 100 2-tier users.

I need concrete do and don'ts concerning architecture about directly acces through xml with appserver or xml without appserver Or .net As far as I'm concerned xml is open standard and everybody can compose xml messages through an editor and yes We can implement quite some security in a firewall but that's static, difficult to maintain and possibly dangerous because The external site is not under our control. If you have experience in setting this up and know something about the Effort it takes please let me know. I need more concrete arguments to state my proposal because I need the investment approved.

Thanks a lot for your response,

Regards,

Jeroen